If you are unlucky enough to be missing a tooth, there are any number of ways to rectify the situation, in all of which Dr George Olstein is experienced. However, the best way to replace your tooth with something that is as similar as possible to your natural tooth is dental implants.
A dental implant has two parts to it. The first is a titanium post, which looks quite similar to a very small metal screw. This is placed directly into your jawbone and acts as a substitute for your missing tooth root. Over time, the implant naturally fuses with your jawbone. Part two involves Dr Olstein then screwing or cementing a crown to the top of the implant, creating a finish that looks as real and as natural as possible.
Teeth implants offer a range of benefits, particularly when compared to dentures, dental bridges and plates:
- Dental implants stop the bone and functionality loss that is usually associated with losing a tooth or multiple teeth.
- Tooth implants are fixed in place and cannot be removed or slide around inside your mouth, rubbing against your gums in the process.
- There are no unsightly metal clips behind your teeth or across your palate, as is common with dentures.
- The natural teeth on either side of the space are not drilled and remain as virgin teeth, which is not the case for dental bridges.
What Is Involved in the Implant Process?
Dr Olstein will usually ask that you visit at least three times to have your dental implant inserted. Your first visit will involve diagnosis and planning, the second will be used to insert the implant, and the third will be used to attach your crown.
Visit One: Diagnosis and Planning
During your first visit, Dr Olstein will diagnose your need for a tooth implant. Generally speaking, if you have lost one or more teeth, then you will likely be a good candidate for a dental implant. However, there are some instances in which you may not be able to have an implant. For instance, if you have extensive periodontal disease or uncontrolled diabetes, you may not be suitable for the dental implant procedure.
During your first visit, we will carefully explain the entire process required for the insertion of a dental implant. If you are nervous about your next visit, we can discuss the use of sleep dentistry techniques. And, with our Digital Smile Design service, we can even generate images of how your smile will look once your implant and crown are finished.
Visit Two: Inserting Your Dental Implant
During your second visit, a surgeon will very carefully and gently insert your implant teeth directly into your jawbone. As such, the first step will always be to administer a local anaesthetic, and ensure that you are completely comfortable and at ease.
It will take your implant some time to heal and to properly fuse with your jawbone—even as long as a couple of months is completely normal. During this time, you will not need to carry out any special routines, apart from your normal, healthy oral hygiene activities.
Visit Three: Attaching Your Crown
Once Dr Olstein, the dental implant expert in Melbourne, is happy that your implant has properly fused to your jawbone, it will be time to attach your crown. Usually a local anaesthetic is not required for this visit, we will cement or screw your custom-made crown onto the abutment, which will keep it permanently in place. Once your crown is in place, it will be indistinguishable, both in look and functionality, from your natural teeth.
When Can Implants Be Used?
The most common use of implants is in tooth replacement, where you have a gap in your mouth, including:
- Single tooth replacement: where just one tooth is missing, and a single crown will be attached to just one implant.
- Multiple teeth replacement: in this instance, multiple implants may need to be inserted, with either crowns or a dental bridge attached.
- Entire jaw replacement: where all of your teeth are missing, either on your top or bottom jaw, multiple implants may be used to fix your denture in place. This treatment is commonly referred to as All On Four.
Why Visit Dr George Olstein?
- Expertise that is Second-to-None: Dr George Olstein is highly skilled in all dental procedures, having practised for more than 30 years in both Australia and overseas. He is skilled in all aspects of cosmetic dentistry, general dentistry, and everything in between.
- You Are Our Number One Priority: our team is here to help you and prides itself on customer service that really is the best in the business. We are all attentive, caring, and intent on helping make your dental experience as pleasant as possible.
- Your Comfort is Paramount: as an expert sleep dentistry practitioner, Dr Olstein understands that stress, fear, and nerves can accompany a visit to the dentist, particularly for children. We will do everything we can to make your comfortable, and are more than happy to provide advice on sleep dentistry if local anaesthetic is not effective.
- Custom Designed Treatment: we tailor all our treatment programs, based on Dr Olstein’s thorough examination of your oral health. We never recommend unnecessary procedures, and always account for your lifestyle, your needs, your existing oral health, and your budget.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.
Book An Appointment Today
If you’ve lost one or more of your teeth, and feel its time to take the plunge and have an implant inserted, then contact us today on 03 9510 1644 to make an appointment for your dental needs in Melbourne. Or, if you have a query on cost, our friendly team is waiting for your call, and is always happy to help. Alternatively, you’re welcome to complete our online booking request form.