Porcelain veneers are extremely thin slivers of white, tooth-coloured material, which are bonded onto the surface of your existing tooth. Veneers are actually not dissimilar to having fake nails applied to fingernails. Used to improve the appearance of stained, chipped, broken or crooked teeth, teeth veneers are extremely strong and durable.
Dr Olstein prefers to use porcelain veneers, rather than composite — porcelain is a ceramic, meaning its surface is glass-like, extremely smooth and therefore impervious to stains left by food and drinks such as tea, coffee, and wine and therefore longer lasting.
What Is Involved in Getting a Veneer?
If you need to have dental veneers fitted, then you may need up to three appointments before the entire procedure is complete. During your first visit, Dr Olstein (the porcelain veneers experts in Melbourne) will diagnose your requirements and put together a treatment plan. Your second appointment will involve preparation work, and during your third visit we will bond the tooth veneers to your teeth.
Visit One: Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
Dr Olstein encourages all of his patients to be active participants in the design of their smile, even offering complimentary Digital Smile Design services. So, during your first appointment, once Dr Olstein has diagnosed your need for veneers, we will work together as a team to plan how your smile will look. Dr Olstein will also explain any inherent limitations in the procedure, as well as what you can expect in your next appointments. If you decide that you need further information, or aren’t completely comfortable with Dr Olstein’s approach, you are more than welcome to make another appointment, or to contact us with any questions.
Visit Two: Preparation
During your second appointment, Dr Olstein will focus on making sure that your teeth are completely ready to have veneers affixed. Depending on which tooth he is working on, Dr Olstein may begin by administering a local aesthetic; this way, you’ll be completely numb and at-ease when he starts the procedure.
Dr Olstein will then gently remove some of the tooth surface of the tooth to which your veneer will be applied. This is done to allow for the slightly added layer of thickness that the veneer will bring to your teeth. It also ensures that the veneer bonds properly to the surface of your tooth. Once this is complete, we take a mould of your teeth, which is then sent to a laboratory to create your veneers. Temporary veneers are then usually placed in the interim until your new veneers are ready.
Visit Three: Bonding
During your third and final visit, Dr Olstein will first place each veneer on the corresponding tooth to double-check its fit, shape, and colour. Above all, we want to ensure that your veneers look as natural as possible. If the veneers are a good match, your tooth will be etched to make sure it is ready for bonding. A special adhesive is then used to bond the veneers to your tooth and that is then hardened using a light beam.
It is worth remembering that Dr Olstein is an expert in sleep dentistry techniques. So, if you’d prefer not be awake while having your veneers treatment, then we are happy to help. All you need do is ask.
What Issues Do Veneers Treat?
Veneers are most commonly used for cosmetic dentistry purposes, where:
- A misshaped or uneven tooth needs to be covered
- Teeth are severely worn down
- Teeth are broken or cracked
- Teeth have large gaps between them
- Teeth are discoloured, due to root canal treatment, old age or injury
Why Visit Dr Olstein?
- 30 Years Experience: having practised all forms of dentistry for more than 30 years, Dr Olstein is highly skilled in all dental procedures, from cosmetic dentistry to general dentistry, and everything in between.
- Your Comfort is Paramount: as an expert sleep dentistry practitioner, Dr Olstein understands that nerves, stress and anxiety often accompany a visit to the dentist. That’s why our objective is to always make you comfortable and relaxed. We want your dental treatment to be as enjoyable as possible.
- Made-to-Measure Treatment Plans: dental treatment is not a one-size-fits-all service. All our patients are special individuals, and we treat them as such, tailoring dental plans specifically for their needs. We take your existing oral health, lifestyle, and budget into consideration every time.
- Attentive and Approachable: our team prides itself on its attentive, warm, approachable manner. We really are here to help you, and make your dental experience as pleasant as possible. You are our number one priority.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.
Book An Appointment with Dr George Olstein
If you’re looking to improve your smile, or hide chipped, discoloured or worn down teeth, then a veneer could prove to be the perfect solution.
If you would like to book an appointment, or simply have a few queries such as the cost of veneers please call 03 9510 1644. Our friendly team is more than happy to help. Alternatively, complete our easy online booking request form.