Sometimes nothing can be done to save a tooth. In these instances, a tooth extraction will be the only way forward. At Dr Olstein’s dental surgery, tooth extraction is always a last resort. We will always try to fix a damaged or decayed tooth through fillings, crowns, root canals and other combinations of treatments.
Teeth extraction addresses overcrowding and removes teeth that are hindering the eruption of new teeth. Wisdom teeth are an obvious example of a time where removing teeth is beneficial.
What Is Involved In A Tooth Extraction?
- Visit One: During your first visit, we will take an X-ray of your mouth, (particularly the affected area). This allows Dr Olstein to formulate a plan to remove the tooth without causing too much disruption to the surrounding teeth. We take a full medical history and once we find the best course of action, you will be booked in for the surgery.
- Visit Two:
- In a simple extraction, for a visible tooth, the procedure is very straightforward. We administer a local anaesthetic, and Dr Olstein uses an elevator to raise the tooth before pulling the tooth with forceps.
- In a surgical extraction, when the tooth is sitting below the gum line, Dr Olstein will make a small incision in your gum and possibly remove some of the bone surrounding the tooth. For this type of extraction, you will be placed under sedation or local anaesthetic, depending on your preference and medical history.
- Recovery: We will give you a personalised home-care package for post-extraction care. This will include everything you need to know. You will also be prescribed with pain relief medication. It’s important to remember that bleeding is normal and you will have to eat soft, cold foods until the area has recovered.
- Possible side effects: Side effects are rare following an extraction. There is one common issue, known as dry socket, which occurs in about 4% of extractions. This happens more frequently amongst smokers, and it can be very painful. So, if you start to feel pain around the socket, you should contact us to arrange for medicated dressing to be applied.
Why Visit Dr Olstein for a Tooth Extraction?
- Dr Olstein’s surgery is perfect for anyone suffering from any form of phobia or anxiety related to dentistry. Dr Olstein puts measures in place to ensure you’re relaxed and comfortable with your treatment. If you feel too afraid to go ahead with the treatment, Dr Olstein is also an expert in sleep dentistry techniques.
- With 30 years of experience, you can rest easy in the knowledge that you’re in good hands. Dr Olstein has seen everything there is to see in the dental world. As a result, he’ll create the type of treatment plan you need to enjoy full oral health.
- Dr Olstein tailors your treatment plan to your exact needs. You’ll never undergo any unnecessary treatments. We never use a one-size-fits-all treatment option.
- You’ll feel at home amongst our caring team; our priority is to make you feel comfortable. We treat you as a person, not a patient.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.
How to Book an Appointment
If you feel as though your health is suffering because of a tooth that just won’t heal you can call our friendly team on 03 9510 1644, or complete our quick and easy online booking form. Don’t suffer in silence any longer; visit us today.