Dr Olstein only uses tooth coloured filling materials when performing simple fillings and has been doing so since 1988.
We never use Amalgam (or silver fillings) at our practice. Dr Olstein strongly believes that tooth coloured fillings are the best, and safest, option – not only your dental care but also your overall health and wellbeing.
Tooth coloured fillings mimic your original tooth colour, making them much a more cosmetically pleasing option. Research has also shown that they make your tooth stronger than an amalgam filling.
What are Tooth Coloured Fillings?
Technically speaking, white fillings are a resin composite, comprised of ceramic, plastic, glass and setting agent.
Composite fillings have been available for years. When they first appeared on the market, the material was not strong enough to be used in the back teeth, where grinding and high-pressure chewing resulted in the application of too much pressure. However, over the last decade, technology had advanced rapidly. So, today, dentists use white fillings for every tooth.
The alternative to white dental fillings is amalgam fillings. These silver fillings contain a mixture of silver and tin alloy, mercury and copper. While amalgam fillings are quite strong, there is some risk associated with having mercury placed directly into your mouth. That’s why Dr Olstein works exclusively with tooth coloured resin composite fillings.
What Happens If I Need a Filling?
First and foremost, Dr Olstein will perform a thorough examination of your entire mouth, teeth and gums to check for any decay or oral hygiene issues. Should Dr Olstein find any areas of concern, he may take some x-rays of your mouth to determine the extent of the decay or cavity.
In some cases, Dr Olstein can restore teeth broken or decayed teeth with a simple filling. Keep in mind though, fillings do have some limitations. For your dental filling to be successful, you still need a certain amount of robust and healthy tooth to support the restoration.
A Composite Fillings Procedure
- Dr Olstein will completely numb the area surrounding your affected tooth. First with a numbing gel and then a local anaesthetic.
- Once the anaesthetic is working, and you are completely numb, Dr Olstein will remove the portion of your tooth that is decayed.
- After the decay removal, we apply a gel to your tooth. This gel etches the surface of your tooth, which helps the white filling to bond to your tooth.
- A small amount of bonding solution is then applied to your tooth before Dr Olstein places the composite into your tooth in layers.
- Dr Olstein will ensure that each layer is evenly spread and contains no air bubbles.
- He then uses a special light to harden each layer.
- Once all the composite has been applied and your cavity filled, Dr Olstein will shape the composite for a natural fit.
- Finally, the composite resin is polished to prevent staining.
Why Visit Dr George Olstein?
- Experienced Expert: Dr George Olstein has more than 40 years of experience, gained in both Australia and overseas. When it comes to dental care, there is nothing he hasn’t already seen or done. He has successfully performed thousands of white fillings, delivering exceptional results for every one of his patients.
- Relaxed and Comfortable: Dr Olstein understands that a visit to the dentist can be fraught with anxiety, and even fear. Above all, he will do everything he possibly can to make you feel comfortable, relaxed, and at ease. If you suffer from dental anxiety or phobia, Dr Olstein can even perform your treatment under sedation, using Sleep Dentistry
- Individual, Tailored Treatment: Dr Olstein is not in the habit of rolling out the same treatment plans for every patient. He tailors treatment specifically for your exact needs, based on the most thorough examination possible.
- Warm and Friendly: as a proud family man, Dr Olstein is friendly, warm and approachable. He does enjoy helping all his patients with their dental needs and is always happy to answer any questions that you may have. You are his number one priority.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.
Book An Appointment with Dr George Olstein
If you think you might be in need of a tooth coloured filling, or any other type of general dental care, please do not hesitate to book an appointment with Dr George Olstein. Our friendly, attentive team is always here to help.