Dry socket is a side effect occurring in about 2% of all tooth extractions. The problem with this condition is that it often flares up just when the pain from the removal itself has started to subside.
Signs and Symptoms of Dry Socket
This symptom occurs as a result of a dislodgement of the blood clot at the site of the extraction during the healing process. The lack of blood clot exposes nerve endings in the jaw and bones, which results in intense pain.
Essentially, if the pain and discomfort of your tooth extraction can’t be controlled by medication, you should contact your dentist.
What Happens During Dry Socket Treatment?
After inspecting the area, and diagnosing you with dry socket, your dentist will apply a medicated dressing to the area, which will usually result in immediate pain relief. It will also speed up the healing process. You may need to return to your dentist for a dressing change.
You may be prescribed antibiotics and pain medications to manage pain and infection, as well as anti-inflammatories to prevent swelling.
It’s important that you follow the post-care instruction given by your dentist, which will include:
- Keeping the area clean and free of debris
- Ensuring you follow a proper dental health regime, including daily brushing and flossing
How to Prevent Dry Socket
Dry socket is usually caused by improper post-care following an extraction. Make sure you follow post-care instructions to avoid this painful occurrence.
Why Visit Dr Olstein for Dry Socket Treatment?
- We make you as comfortable as possible: we understand that many patients struggle with a trip to the dentist. Rest assured, we will allay all your fears and concerns and make you feel comfortable as soon as possible.
- We have wide-ranging experience: more than 30-years’ experience means that Dr George Olstein can draw on a depth and breadth of knowledge to address this painful issue in a timely fashion.
- We design custom treatment plans: no two patients are the same, and that’s why we prefer to treat you as unique people rather than patients. Your dry socket treatment will be 100% tailored to your circumstances and your needs.
- We pride ourselves on our friendly approach: Dr George Olstein is a family man. He prides himself on being friendly and approachable, so his patients feel comfortable enough to raise concerns.
Book an Appointment
If you’re suffering from dry socket, booking an appointment with Dr Olstein couldn’t be easier. You can call our friendly team on (03) 9998 2113, or complete our quick and easy online booking form. Don’t suffer in silence any longer; visit us today.